Thursday, June 17, 2010

SMILE TRAIN Mission 2

Alhamdulillah, I'm back safe and sound on Malaysian soil. I did not have the time to update on the 2nd day at the hospital immediately after; but it was more amazing than I thought :)

After breakfast at the hotel, we headed to the hospital. Today's agenda was all going to take place in the Operation Theatre. There were supposed to be 8 surgeries but only 6 took place.
With Neena and Neethu (interns at the Charles Pinto Centre for Cleft Lip and Palate)

When I entered the waiting room, there were about 3 kids with their parents sitting on one side. There was a teenager; around 16 years old I think, sitting quietly by himself. And there was this one 6 year old boy swinging his legs slowly at the bench. I looked at him and thought, "He is so brave." I'm sure he knew that he was undergoing an operation and no doubt inside his emotions are in a whirlwind, but there he sat by himself obediently -without any parents or guardians- and someway, somehow, it just struck me that THIS is the picture of "ultimate strength". Too bad I didn't snap a photo though; but that image will forever be etched in my mind :)

I created quite a commotion -again- when I wanted to enter the operation theatre. Of course we had to get changed into the appropriate clothing; but it was short sleeved and I would have to put away my scarf. I hesitated for a while and the nurses and assisting staffs stared at me like "what was the big problem with this girl?" I talked to Dr Hirji and he said, "It's okay, wear what you are most comfortable with. But in the future, when you enter the OT's, wouldn't you have to wear these clothings too?" I'm not too entirely sure of the procedure here in Malaysia; but they would allow scarves inside and also long-sleeves right?
With Dr Hirji Adenwalla -Head of the Dept of the Clinic

Anyway, there were two operating rooms. I alternated between two rooms and that's how I managed to watch around 6 operations. Dr Hirji Adenwalla did the surgery for the first cleft palate. Then I went to see Dr Narayanan's surgery for rhinoplasty because of a slumped nose. Then Dr Pashupathi's surgery for a unilateral complete cleft lip- he used Millard's rotational advancement technique. At the same time, I also went to see Dr Narayanan's second surgery. After that was Dr Hirji's work again but for a fistula this time and then another corrective surgery.

At first I was a bit squirmish- considering this is my first in an OT. I silently whispered, "Sorry sorry" to the kids on the operating table. It looked like it hurt but I had to continuously remind myself that they were under anesthesia. In fact, Dr Hirji told me, "I think the most important part of the surgery is the anesthesia. It's like a flight; the taking-off and the landing are the most important."
Watching the operation for a cleft palate corrective surgery.

I love watching Dr Hirji at work. Before he begins, he asks; "What is the name of this child?". During the surgery, he adds words of wisdom as he works and could even crack some jokes. One of the things I remember most was when he said, "If you think my surgery is good, it's not because of me. It's because of the assistants that I have; they know what to do and when to do." Indeed, when i watched, it's as if they can read his mind. They teamwork is extremely impressive. I could see his assistants glowing with pride; and why shouldn't they? I too would be most proud if complimented by such an amazing surgeon :)
Dr H.S. Adenwalla: "If you think my surgery is good, it's not because of me. It's because of the assistants that I have; they know what to do and when to do."

After 2 surgeries, we had lunch- a sandwich and a pastry- which Dr Hirji packed from home. We had quite a philosophical moment when Dr Hirji talked about religion and life. I love listening to my dad's counter. But best of all was that the thoughts and views were taken into good faith and considered.

During Dr Pashupathi's surgery, Dr Hirji asked for my notebook and said, "I want to write a few quotations inside." He said at the corner of the surgery room on a stool and inside he wrote:

"So many gods to so many creeds, so many paths that wind and wind, while just the act of being kind is all this sad world needs." - unknown. It was my mother's favourite quotation.
"Trivials make perfection but perfection is not trivial." -MichaelAngelo-
He sits in the corner of the OT and writes quotations in my notebook :)

At one point during the surgery, somehow I got a bit confused about Millard's rotational advancement. A technique used to correct the cleft lip; and an excellent one at that which leaves no scar should it be done perfectly. Dr Pashupathi did such a technique and Dr Narayanan explained to me the technique. Somehow I still couldn't follow and I told Dr Hirji. He said, "My dear, there's just so much that you're learning in one day. We're specializing in this field." I nodded and hovered again to look at the surgery.

After a few minutes, one of the staff gestured to me and said Dr Hirji wanted to meet me outside the OT. When I went, he was drawing the Millard's rotational advancement technique and patiently explaining to me the exact procedure together with cutting the piece of paper and ensuring I got maximum input. Even being the head of department- the highest ranking in the clinic- he still had the time to do such a thing. I will forever remember that and try to apply it. It's really difficult to describe Dr Hirji. Maybe one thing I can say is that for those who have watched Kung Fu Panda, you can equate him to the turtle master. That turtle can describe a little of who he is- but with awesome surgical skills :)

Anyway, after the surgery, we headed to the ICU to see the children who had been operated on. Most were still quite unconscious and very much frail. The doctors had to check on their status update... But apart from that, things were very much okay. Their surgery is simply amazing! It's all very neat and tidy and I was told by one of the staffs that, "The work done here is so good that there will hardly be any scars left."

"Her" before the surgery. She loves taking pictures :)

At around 5pm, we said our goodbyes. We shook hands with Dr Hirji, Dr Narayanan, Dr Pashupathi., with the supporting staff, with the nurses, with the Neena and Neethu. I was mighty glad that the mission is done with but there was also a tinge of sadness.

The doctors invited me to come again to India after I complete my MBBS. They even made me consider taking plastic surgeon as a profession. I am greatly impressed with their work but at the moment the calling might be a little weak for plastic surgeon.

Future plastic surgeon?

What I can summarize here is that raising the funds, coming to India, delivering the donations and banner (which now hangs proudly on their ward wall), and meeting these amazing people is one unforgettable experience. :)

Mission accomplished. Alhamdulillah.

1 comment:

Jamilah Samian said...

Alia, check out Neill Newton, founder of "Global Flying Hospitals" which aims to provide urgent and basic medical care to developing countries. I've personally met him; he's another remarkable personality. You'll stay motivated and inspired if you surround yourself with like-minded people. May Allah guide you. It's fardhu kifayah :)