Thursday, June 10, 2010

first OSCE

I had my first OSCE (objective structured clinical examination) for CVS. We had to examine a simulated patient- specifically the chest and pulse examination. A lot of people were unhappy after leaving the exam room. I for one was extremely dissatisfied with what I had missed out. Right after the exam, i wrote on a piece of paper:

WHAT I WILL REMEMBER FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE:
  1. To sanitize your hands. All the time. Even if you didn't know that you're supposed to for the exam.
  2. When the question reads "Do chest examination", do the WHOLE examination, not just the left parasternal heave and palpable thrills even if the case says that the patient has just "left chest heaviness".
  3. When you lose track of the flow, take a deep breath and do the parts you missed- but make sure you ask the examiner first.
  4. Don't feel so down after just your first OSCE exam. there's so much to learn.

Many people were unhappy with the outcome of the OSCE but our OSCE coordinator, Dr Hazian decided to wisely address all the issues raised.

Honestly, I love it everytime Dr Hazian speaks. She talks with so much wisdom that I cannot help but fall victim and enchanted with every one of her words.

This time, it was right after our CVS finals and I had nowhere to write her pearls of wisdom except on my hands.
I wrote down the phrases which seemed to cause a surge through my heart. By themselves, they might sound just normal. But when they were strung together with the whole picture and what she really said, it is beyond amazing.
  • What's important is how you conduct yourself.
  • Medicine is an art based on science (corrected by Najah; thanks dear)
  • You all are so focused on getting the marks, that you forget common sense. You must wash your hands before touching the patient. I don't need the blood pressure to be proper; if the equipment is broken and if you state so, you still pass. if the patient is cold use the blanket; this is how you pass the exam.
  • You are driving yourself nuts chasing the marks, what you don't need.
  • You have not felt suffering, lost something been hungry
  • You are the future. What kind of doctor do you want your loved ones to have?
  • Postpone being a doctor if you can't understand sacrifices and suffering.
  • We are trying to breed a doctors who knows sacrifice, suffering, are kind, rationale and polite.

She is beyond amazing =) InsyaAllah, all that she has said and delivered, makes me so much more inspired to be the person she hopes and prays for us to be. better and better.

No comments: