Thursday, December 24, 2009

LTDJ '09


Le Tour de Johor '09 started off at college. My first task was by Nebbey; head of the penghargaan department. Called me up and asked me if I can do the Token of Appreciation for the government school where we'll be holding the health carnival. At first I was reluctant because I was afraid I would mess it up. And it was going to be BIG (like something from OUR college). And it was going to be on CANVAS! (too excited because I've never worked with canvas before). Nebbey even offered to buy acrylic paint (which is just too awesome) but I declined because I can't control paint very well- so I just asked for markers instead.

I didn't expect it at all but Nebbey went so far as to get an AWESOME marker- which says "For Graphics Artists" (it makes me shiver inside just reading that). Plus a refill. And it has TWO tips- fine and broad. So of course, doing the poster, I had to ask the expertise of Atikah Amin:) But in the end, I'm glad I agreed to do it anyway because I was rewarded with the amazing art marker.
The LTDJ isn't actually all about the poster. But for me, half of it was:P

Friday 18th: It really started the next day at 7am. We set off to Johor and enjoyed ourselves at a waterfall at Gunung Ledang. Then we headed to the school SK FELCRA, Bukit Kepong Tangkak where the Foster Family Ceremony was going to be held.

Truthfully, my biggest worry was that I would have to interact with my foster family in malay. I thought I would have to do the "wanita melayu terakhir" act. Seen, not heard. Do all I can and be helpful, not be a hindrance and still be accepted despite the (hidden) fact that I cannot converse that effectively in malay.

But little did I have to worry. Because my foster mother was like (as described by the MC), a battery which never needs to be charged. Because she's always on full power. Honestly, Mak Ida never stops moving, she's always here or there and she's like the MOST active and talkative person around. So I didn't have to worry about anything because all I had to do was listen (which was really enjoyable!) and stick in comments here and there.

She's a really sweet lady and her husband (Papa Mairon) is also just as adorable. The kampung life is really a relaxed one. Though living IN the house itself ss nothing new to me because Maknek's house is also kampung-like.

From left: Wanda (LTDJ Participant also living with me), Mak Ida, Papa, me infront of their house:)

Saturday 19th: My reason for heading to LTDJ was because I was under the Basic Life Support (BLS) team. So what we did was just to teach the community there how to perform basic life support (in malay- Kelas Asas Kecemasan). The night before, I was struggling with all the BM words and practicing with kak tqa. It wasn't JUST a tongue twister; it was like a jaw breaker. Laluan pernafasan, posisi pemulihan, nadi (which I always confused with nada)...

Basic Life Support Class setup. Mannequins set in a row.
I also watched the Sunathon (how boys were circumcised) and it was really amazing. I think that's the first surgery I've ever watched... I didn't get in the Sunathon team this year but insyaAllah next year! Doing a surgery have never been more exciting... especially imagining doing a cleft lip repair...

Anyway, back to LTDJ, after that we had some sports (no kidding, the kampung makciks are really something at sports!)

And that night I learnt how to make kuih koci. We made more than a hundred because it was for the breakfast for the participants for the next morning. I was so good at folding the banana leaf that my foster mom said that I can be the wanita melayu terakhir. I laughed:P

Sunday 20th: It felt like an EXTREMELY short trip. On the morning of our departure, we were treated to have a look at the police station at Bukit Kepong (apparently a very famous one- bad bad alia for not knowing the Peristiwa Bukit Kepong).

Wanda and I were given huge hugs and kisses from our foster mom- with lipstick all over our cheeks.

The last image of the community, of our trip to Bukit Kepong, of the LTDJ trip, was of my foster mother jumping up and down, waving gifts and blowing kisses.

A wonderful end to a wonderful trip:) Truly unforgettable.

3 comments:

Happy said...

I laughed so hard seeing the last picture =P LOL!

It's great that you have the chance to join this kind of trip. Totally awesome experience kan?

Glad that you had so much fun ; well written, really made my day ;)

Anonymous said...

the poster looks great, k.Alia! :D

Alia Nadhirah said...

Happy, yes I DID have an enjoyable trip!:) And... glad that it made your day (not sure how that works but it's awesome that way!). That last picture I managed to snap while the bus was moving away. And btw, clever work placing the thesaurus to the word "happy". THAT made MY day:)

ysmnn darling, thank you so much for the compliment. That truly means a lot to me:)