Someone kindly reminded me that:
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination:) how can you know the joy of being on the summit, unless you have first visited the lowest valleys. Remember your thoughts are living bundles of energy ^-^ keep smiling Alia, you are one of the most optimistic people people I know:D"
So, having to live up to those expectations of being one of the most optimistic people known, I shall keep and stay energized, enthusiastic and upbeat throughout even being in the lowest valleys. Thank you:)
Nucleotide Metabolism topic this week opened my eyes and mind to lessons beyond the classroom.
Say hello to Biochem 101:) In order to make the DNA, we must first make nucleotides. And if one enzyme is missing within that process of making nucleotides, it can have absolutely lethal outcome. For example, the deficiency of Hypoxanthine Guanine Phosphoribosyl Transferase (HGPRT), an enzyme.
The outcome of not having this enzyme would be: Lesch Nyhan sydrome. The effects are severe gout (accumulation of toxic uric acid in your body), hyperuricemia, aggressive behaviour and many more. But most horrifyingly is that it causes self-mutilation.
Mutilate: to destroy or injure severely. Oneself. So the people would be biting their lips, their nose, their arms until they bleed and flesh is seen. The thing is, they would start gnawing at their knuckles if you don't place protection like boxing gloves on their hands. Faz opened a video of self-mutilation and it showed a case in Phillipines where this boy was just nonstop trying to bite himself. The doctor was explaining during the documentary (but of course we couldn't understand Tagalog) and snippets of the vid showed the mother crying her heart out. It was heart breaking...
I learnt:
1. To be sincerely thankful that God made my body as a whole. That my one enzyme HGPRT is not missing so that PRPP does not accumulate and IMP nor GMP is deficient in my body. I'm grateful that I can think, eat, stand all pretty much independently without having to worry my parents on whether I'd be ripping out my fingers.
2. That being a doctor in the future, there are so many (scary) diseases and illnesses you'd be facing. You need stable hands, a sincere heart and strong head (ie mind).
3. That one small building block deficient can result to terrifyingly huge consequences.
Most of all, I learnt not to be bitter. Because there are just too many other things to be thankful for.
Grand master plan: 1 more week.
1 comment:
It's from the book, "the monk who sold his ferrari", if you haven't had a chance to read it, I'd highly recommend you do, it's profoundly inspiring, keep up the optimistic spirit Alia... =D
Post a Comment