Sunday, October 25, 2009

Absolutely Magical!


Hello Genting Highlands!:)

Toastmasters held its KL Semi-Annual Convention in Genting from 23rd to 25th October. Due to my duties elsewhere and since I was mostly only looking forward to watching the final Humorous and Evaluation Speech Contest, my dad picked me up from Cyberjaya and drove me all the way to Genting Highlands.

It was worth it. As truly in line with the theme, it was "Absolutely Magical!"

And here we are, finally!

I attended the Gala Dinner which was on the final night. Managed to meet a few people but of course, me being only a 10-month old member, was not recognized by many. Just wait til the next speech competition, I shalt be known!:D During the Gala night however, I met Pei Leng (Intelligent Speakers Club) and Choi San (MIM KL and Division P3 Gov) and sat with them for dinner. I had to be separated from Ahmad and my dad. But Pei Leng and Choi San were such dears, explaining things I didn't know and keeping me company throughout:)

Choi San and I:)

This morning's competition was the grand finale of the month long Humorous and Evaluation Speech marathon. This was the magical event I was looking forward to the most because district level's speakers has one of the highest qualities of speeches. Needless to say, I was mesmerized!

My KPI: Marianna Pascal, Champion of Humorous Speech Contest

The Champion for Humorous Speech Contest: Marianna Pascal from a Toastmasters' Club in Johor. Her humorous speech entitled "Local English or Standard English?" revealed Malaysia's colourful rojak language and how foreigners found them extremely hard to understand. Like how her foreign friend was going to work at a restaurant, her manager asked her to make fruit juice with the blender and fruits and instructed her, "Put in the fruits after switch on." (you have to intonate it clearly to see the punch line). But her perplexed friend understood it as "Put in the fruits after you switch on the blender". Of course, a mishap occurred:P the real meaning was the "Put in the fruits after that switch it on." Lol. You had to be there:)

The Humorous and Evaluation Speech contest certainly fueled my spirit to enter the International Speech Contest next year! In fact, my dad has already booked the tickets to Miri for the next convention in May. Of course, it may take a few failures to get to the top but I'm all ready for that.

Toastmasters' ISC 2010, say hello to Alia Nadhirah!:)

1 comment:

Toastmasters' ISC 2010 said...

hello alia nadhirah! we've missed you for 18 years..! welcome dear~!

^^