Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Public Speaking Workshop

I've been meaning to update on this but has hardly found the time. Until now. Because Mandarin class has been cancelled- for today.

Well, I passed the audition for the public speaking competition and a workshop was held the next day for those who were shortlisted- 32 of us. This public speaking competition is organized by The Star, HSBC and ESU (English Speaking Union).

The workshop consisted of how to have a good opening, body, closing, delivery, and impromptu speeches. Of course, there's only so much you can do from 9am-4pm. We watched a video of the winning speeches at London and there was an invited speaker- the runner-up for last-two-years' competition and she talked about her experience in London. A lot of input, but the time went by so fast because we also had to do a lot of output (we're not allowed to have nothing to say since we're a room of public speakers).

I tell you, it is a completely AMAZING and WOW-ing experience. I mean, I've been attending Toastmasters and mingling around people much older than me, 20's 30's 40's +++. But this is the first time I'm attending a public speaking event with participants all around my age. And yes, they are really really really good. Some are debaters but each and every one of them- when they open their mouth to speak, it just completely blows my mind when I see how AWESOME-ly they speak. And most are even younger than me- around 16 etc. Some touched the mind, but the best ones touched my heart:)

Made a new friend- Nicol. He speaks extremely fast, yes- but EXTREMELY energetic, enthusiastically and excitedly all the time. When I found out that he does social work and wants to become a Peace Activist (haha sorry for letting it all out here, Nicol)- I was extremely impressed! There aren't that many people who has these kind of mindset; glad I met someone of the same wavelength:)

Really, it was a really productive day and I was all set for the Semi-Finals which would be held on the 9th April.

Until I realized what was happening on the Friday, 9th April.

Because I had given my work to Syafiq months ago that I would emcee an event; I profusely apologized to him and really really have to thank him on my knees for being so understanding since I have to back out of the emcee-ing.

Until I realized that I actually have a Musculoskeletal test that day as well. At the same time. My heart fell- again. So, it's either I have to back out on the test or the semi-finals. OR have both... So I'd have to appeal perhaps for the semi-finals so that I can be the last speaker or something. Just hope it all works out...

That's it for now:)

1 comment:

Ayah said...

Choices are meant to make us wiser...seek divine intervention and it will set your free...