Saturday, December 1, 2007

Volunteering

I have finally started on volunteering work!:) Well, technically speaking, it is. Yesterday, I volunteered as a fasci at fuddy's mom's Brain Camp held by N Shiki, looking after kids between 6-12 years old. It was from 9-5pm. The camp had a jungle theme and everyone had to wear something with an animal on it (me=turtle!). There were 10 groups, all named after gemstones, for example topaz, opal, aquamarine, diamond etc... Basically, I was in charge of one group and had to help out with anything else needed. Iman was MC . Safi was the DJ and cameraman, Fuddy in charge of another group and Yaya also in charge of another group/

It was really enjoyable, especially since I was doing what I really like; making artsy stuff and learning about new things. We learnt a volcano song.. hehe.. and about Pollination and bumble bees and also about how to make paper!:) Of course the experience of dealing with children is absolutely... interesting. Ahaha. It is also VERY tiring. Having to tend to their every need and just going through will all their ever-lasting energy.. The kids in my group are all very cute kids. There are four of them; Iman, Aqif, Amirah and another boy I forgot his name..but he is really sweet and polite!:)

One funny thing happened. Our first activity was to make cheese. What's meant to happen is that when the milk and lemon mixes, a solid is formed and there's also some solution too. The solid is the Curd and the watery stuff is whey. So we're supposed to filter it and get the curd. We used filter paper and when we poured the mixture in, the curd got stuck and the whey didn't seem to filter out. And the group behind us (Yaya's), had at least their whey dripping down. I took the ice-cream stick (used as a glass rod.. haha chemistry!) to sort of push away the curd to let the whey out. I think I pushed it a little too hard or did it too many times that I made a hole in the filter paper and *GLOOSH* the whole mixture just burst down into the bottle (used as the beaker..Chem again:P) and the kids had on a ghastly this-akak-just-ruined-our-experiment face. I felt so bad and took immediate steps to correct it and I was actually quite amazed that they took the whole thing quite 'level-headed'ly. They didn't freak out or anything (well, not as much as I did). They just said "I think we should get new filter paper" and just went on with everything else. Which was what happened. Alls well that ends well:)
Just being themselves, kids teach you a lot. Anyway, I found out that Fuddy's experiment also had a hole in HER filter paper. So I didn't feel that bad anymore. Phew~

Ooh! At the end of the program, they sang a Birthday song for this girl who had HER birthday that day. And after that a birthday song for Fuddy's brother who's birthday was on that week. And then Fuddy announced to sing ANOTHER birthday song; which was.. for ME. And I really didn't realize what she was talking about until Yaya and Iman started squealing next to me. It was really sweet and I have to admit I was quite malu.. but at the same time, pleased:)

So that's what happened:) And it was really great to see my beloveds again after 1 and a half weeks. It's quite something to think that we're not really going to be able to be with each other much anymore... But that's life. Keep going on. That's what everyone tells me anyway.

~nadhirah
twelve thirty two
ante meridiem
thirtieth november two thousand seven

No comments: